Sunday 2 May 2010

Lost? Yep, me too.



A few months ago, I decided I would track down and watch all of the episodes of Lost I had missed. Considering I hadn't watched it for about 3 years, this was a lot of missed episodes. I got hold of seasons 2, 3, 4 and 5 [season 6 was yet to start] and caught myself up in a matter of weeks. My understanding of the Lost saga is as follows:



. Oceanic 815 crashes onto a remote tropical island. As well as following the group's lives on the island, we see their lives before the crash in a series of flashbacks.

. Survivors of said crash run into a group of people already living on the island, who become known as 'The Others.'

. Some people manage to leave the island, but feel like they need to go back, which they do. By now, the flashbacks have become flashforwards, showing us the fate of the group which escaped and why they feel the need to retun.

. A big wheel deep underground is turned, sending the island travelling through time, visiting several periods of history until resting itself in the 70s.

. Some of the group manage to make a life for themselves as part of the Dharma Initiative, a group of scientists located on the island to study the island's unique electromagnetic powers.

. The group that escaped the island return and all hell breaks loose, culminating in the detonation of a hydrogen bomb which, in theory, will reset their timeline and plonk them back to the time before they boarded the plane which crashed on the island in the first place.

. The island seems to be unaffected by the bomb blast. However, we are now being shown not flashbacks or flashforwards, but what seem to be completely different timelines, each character living an entirely different life to the ones we had seen in the flashbacks/flashforwards.

Photobucket

And this is all without even mentioning the polar bears, a man who can manifest himself into a plume of black smoke, the characters seeing into the future, the characters able to move between two different periods of time, the characters that can see/talk to dead people. Basically, Lost makes no fucking sense. Even with 4 episodes left until it is all over, I still find myself utterly unable to make any real guess as to what is going to go down. The last episode hinted at the island being some sort of purgatory, with a supposedly dead character saying that he is one of the ones stuck on the island and cannot move on, or something to that effect.

I've always been optimistic that, in the end, everything will make sense. Well, maybe make sense is the wrong phrase. Maybe its better to say I hope everything is explained. I've always kept faith that all these bizarre goings-on were going somewhere, and even with little over 4 hours of Lost left to go, I remain cautiously optimistic that my faith will be rewarded.

Photobucket


No comments:

Post a Comment